August 29th was my Mom's birthday, which gave me a great excuse to make another cake. I was feeling adventurous and indicisive about how to design it so I decided to make a cake with various colors and flowers for a wildflower look. This project ended up being a very time consuming one (as you can imagine), but the finished product was worth it. Looking back, I probably should have made the flowers a day before to break up the work and also to let them dry completely. When I was putting them on the cake the larger flowers were still soft so some were difficult to pull off the wax paper (where I piped them) and some even broke. Lesson learned!
I am a huge fan of fruit filling, if you havent figured that out yet. I find it's a great way to avoid the problem of having the cake be too sweet. So I experimented with the frozen fruit I had in my freezer that day and settled on a peach and strawberry filling. The tangyness complimented the sweetness of the sugary frosting very well but I still have to find a way to make the fruit flavors more prominent. It was still delicious!
I stuck with the basketweaved sides for this cake, but for my next one I'm dying to try out this same pattern but piped with multiple tips to give it a different kind of look. I bordered the cake with a simple shell border. Because the flowers took so long to make, I refused to make the frosting from scratch. So I bought Pillsbury frosting to ice it instead. It ended up being soft and runny so I had to put the piping bag in the freezer every 5 minutes or so to keep the basketweave from melting off the cake. Other than that small issue this cake turned out great!