I stumbled upon another cupcake design in "Hello, Cupcake" that I though was SO cute and also manageable called "Fat Cats". I must tell you that I am a big cat person. I have two cats, Zeus and Apollo, whom I adore. So I will dedicate this post to them.
|(Zeus and Apollo)|
The kitty cakes require one cupcake for the head of the cat and another cupcake for the fish bone on their full tummy. The book called for a lot of candies that I couldnt get my paws on so I did improvise some ingredients.
- Fur- dyed vanilla (which ended up being a little too yellow, whoops) and dark chocolate icing. Piped from a baggy with the corner snipped in the shape of an X. This gives the icing the fur effect.
- Ear shape - half of a chocolate cookie wafter. The fur icing was then piped on top. This posed somewhat of a problem because the cookie was heavier than I anticipated. It was difficult to keep the ears on the cupcakes.
- Eyebrows- shaped from tootsie rolls, which made my fingers ache. chocolate icing or licorice (which they called for) would have been much easier.
- Eyes- mini M & Ms
- Nose- heart-shaped Sweet Tarts, which I was unhappy with. The directions called for the heart candies in Runts but can you believe I couldnt find a package of Runts anywhere?! Ridiculous. Anyway, the Runts would have been much better because the candies are brighter and smaller, making the cat faces a little more proportional.
- Cheeks- Mentos mints. I was not happy about this ingredient either because I feel that, texturally, hard chewy mints and soft cupcakes do not go together very well. Plain white icing or maybe the tops of marshmallows would have done a better job.
- Tongue- Laffy Taffy
- Fish bone- white chocolate wafers, melted and traced on a stencil
- Paws on the belly- half of a mini marshmallow with icing as the claws
I was fairly happy with the final product, though the many candies and loads of icing did make the cupcakes harder to eat. If I were to make the cupcakes again I would replace some ingredients and make sure my vanilla icing was white, not yellow. Nevertheless, these were very cute cupcakes that are great for sugar-loving kids.