Thursday, September 2, 2010

We Brought Caaake

I made this cake after taking a 3 hour, free cake decorating class at my school in RI. (The cake I actually made in the class was pathetic, but I unfortunately dont have a picture for you). The class pretty much taught me how to ice a cake.. and that was it. But I had to learn sometime! And what can you expect from a free class. They did give me lots of materials for free though, like piping bags, tips, and couplers (plastic pieces that allow you to switch tips, if needed, on your piping bag). I figured out later that the class was a Wilton's Cake Decorating class, which are usually fairly expensive, but the reason it was free was because Wilton decided to update their classes. Therefore all the free stuff I was given was their old materials and kits. But I'm not complaining! It was a great starting point for my cake materials.

(Made from two 9" vanilla cakes with raspberry filling)

So there it is, my very first cake. Like I said, I only learned how to ice the cake, so I had to figure the roses and rose buds out on my own (I know now that I made them completely wrong, but I fooled you didn't I?). It would have been nice to have a border on it but I REALLY didnt know how to do that. The center was a raspberry filling that I made, which consisted of frozen raspberries, sugar and corn starch. The consistency ended up being a little watery and because of that I had a long, losing battle to keep the filling from pouring over the sides of the cake. My trick now is to pipe icing around the border of the bottom cake to keep the filling from escaping. But I must say the filling was still delicious.
The day I made this cake I was invited to stay a night with friends down the shore. The house we were staying at was rented and my friends and I had no idea who or what to expect once we got there. Figuring that it would be all people I knew and loved, I brought the cake along so we could all enjoy it. Once we got to the house we climbed the stairs to the front porch, this elegant cake in hand, only to find a room full of ghetto-looking boys we didnt know, yelling and playing beer pong. One was wearing a wife beater that said "Fuck Bitches, Get Money".

(The random boys who ate my cake)
We stood there speechless until my friend broke the silence with "Ahem.. We brought caaake". It was all a very embarrassing experience but the night was a fun one and although my cake was destroyed by boys eating it by the fistfull, it was not put to waste.

3 comments:

  1. COOL BLOG EMILY!! Way to go! This must have taken hours. BTw how long did it take to make those Monarch Butterfly wings?
    Ms. G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ms. G! The blog actually didnt take too long to make, the site makes it pretty easy for you. The butterfly wings took about an hour to actually pipe, but 2 or 3 hours in total with prep, waiting for them to dry and putting them together

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally imagine Jimmy saying, "We brought CAAAAAAKE!" It cracks me up every time I think about it.

    ReplyDelete